Friday 2 March 2012

Well, I fibbed

Hello everyone,

Well I apparently fibbed about not doing another post before leaving for Palm Desert. But because Kelley Judd has been being so diligent sending out updates, I wanted to pass along to all of you his two latest from March 2nd.

UPDATE #1:

I went to visit Anita this afternoon, John & Marcia were there. She is out of ICU and in Room 3023A. That is in the new Annenberg Wing. Anita recognized me and she gave me a smile. She cannot talk right now, but she squeezed my hand to let me know she knew who I was.

There still is not much information from the doctors. The nurses did start physical therapy, they had her sit up, stretch her leg out, she brushed her hair a couple of strokes, they got her to open her mouth and take a spoonful of broth, which she managed to swallow, and she opened her mouth so they could take her temperature. John sits on her right side so that she has to move her head to the right to see him. I told her that if looking at him doesn’t kill her, than nothing will. That made her laugh.

When I left, I told her I was taking Tristan to the dog park with my dogs, and she acknowledged that. I believe she is comprehending things and that is encouraging.

John is a trooper. He brought Marcia over this morning and he let her have some time with her mother and then came back after lunch and will spend the rest of the day there, along with Marcia. He has his crossword puzzles and some books. He knows it is going to be a long, slow ordeal, but you now John, he will make the best of the situation.

Best, Kelley


UPDATE #2:

I spoke with John this evening and he finally saw the neurosurgeon. The doctor wants to get Anita into Physical Therapy ASAP. There are two possibilities, one at Eisenhower and another off campus, not sure of name and location. The doctor wants her to get 3 ½ hours of PT daily, starting right now.

Since I had given you her room number earlier, I want you to be aware she could be moved as early as tomorrow, Saturday, March 3.

John is hanging in there but his stress level has been elevated. All of your support is very much appreciated.

Please call to before you visit to make sure of Anita’s location.

Be well,

Kelley


My (Melissa's) best to all of you and will update again when I get to Palm Desert.

Optimistically,

Melissa

No comments: