Friday 29 June 2007

Post #26: Next Chemo Treatment

Hello all,

Another great day for Anita! An unbelievable roster of foods eaten: orange juice + electrolyte solution, piece of toast, bowl of protein/hi fiber 7 grain cereal with milk, additional big glass of milk, an "angelcot" (I think a hybrid of apricots and plums), vitamins, a small bowl of potato chips, two small glasses of champagne, four small lamb chops, one huge ravioli, roasted potatoes, plum juice + electrolyte solution, 3 ginger cookies and a whole papaya!!!

We also talked (twice) with the oncologist today. She is scheduled to have her next chemo treatment on Tuesday, July 3rd. We don't know what time yet but they will call us with the time. Between now and then she will get blood testing tomorrow, will eat as much papaya as she can get down (not to mention other foods), and will get as strong as possible. Her color is good. Tonight before bedtime she had morphine drops and a tranquilizer tab. She said her stomach felt a bit achy but that's because she ate too much! What a change!

We have been very concerned about her shortness of breath and rapid heartbeat. We have been reassured by the oncologist that her echocardiogram results show that her heart muscle is healthy and strong and her last blood test results show that her blood is normal - in fact, in excellent condition - that she is fully oxygenated and that there is no gas imbalance. In his opinion she is not suffering cardiotoxic effects at this point in time. She will undergo approximately 2 hours of chemotherapy on the 3rd and will NOT be getting the super chemo drug Rituxan/Rituximab that day. Rather he will give that to her a week or so later.

As a consequence I am extending my stay here (I was originally scheduled to depart on July 3rd). I will stay with Mother and John through the chemotherapy and afterward until she starts recovering from the effects of the treatment. Tonight, due to the wonderful idea of Anita and a good friend of hers, I was treated to dinner at her friend's home. Mother has been concerned that I haven't gotten out enough or had enough "social entertainment." Although that has not been a priority at all with me during my stay here, it was a very relaxing and delightful evening tonight and I very much appreciated it. I got home tonight in time to find Anita and John up watching a murder mystery together! It is so wonderful to see them having such a good time together.

So, another great day and here's to more to follow!

Melissa

2 comments:

regina&dan said...

Mum, Anita & Melissa Your Daily Dining Menu reads so Well. It's making me Hungry, Yummy !!! Fanastic, to read Anita's appetite
has regained! The word is going to get out, that You Ladies are starting your own Bed N'Breakfast :))) Lamb and Champagne
Wow, what's for dessert?

Music as Therapy:

I think I Should have no other mortal wants, if I could always have plenty of music. It seems to infuse strength into my limbs and ideas into my brain. Life seems to go on without effort, when I am filled with music. ---George Eliot

Ladies and Gent: With Your Fine Dining,* Music is A Must* OR Muse !
Cheers to You All,
Toast to Anita's Recovery !
*TLC* is the Antidote :)))
Could Mean ? Ton's Love & champagne? >--|
Regina

Anonymous said...

It seems like every day the news gets better. Wonderful. How you gained back some of the weight you lost? Your are in my thoughts constantly and if positive thoughts help then you are well on your way to recovery.
Love, Fritzie