Tuesday 24 July 2007

Post #52: A Swimming Day!

Hello all!

Just finished talking with Mother. She was up and at 'em early this morning, mainly because the dog was! She and John are investing in a baby gate today so they can confine the little darling to the kitchen when he's being on less than perfect behavior! Tristan's contribution to interior decorating this morning was to teepee the living room by unrolling a whole roll of toilet paper! Ah, the joys of puppy ownership!

Today Anita is a little dizzy, coughing somewhat, and is short of breath but nevertheless "doing" as usual! Yesterday she rested quite a bit. She has found that she needs a nap every afternoon. A friend, who is going away on a long trip, came to visit them yesterday afternoon and Anita was able to enjoy some champagne in honor of the visit. She said she had a wonderful time!

She has started drinking electrolyte solution again and is finding that it helps and is eating a papaya a day. She has an appointment with the oncologist tomorrow morning, July 25, at 10:00 a.m. She is looking forward to talking with him and getting some answers to those questions and issues which I've mentioned in earlier postings. Ironically, she's also looking foward to her next chemo treatment because she thinks it will help a lot. Her attitude is good and optimistic, as she says, about everything! She told me: "I have made up my mind I am going to go into remission! I won't have it any other way!" And knowing Mama, she won't!!

This morning she is going to have John drive her down to the swimming pool and she is going to try to swim at bit! She has always been very muscular and due to her illness has lost muscle mass and tone. So she is determined "to make muscle out of flab!" She has always enjoyed swimming so this will be a great way for her to tone up. "Now," she says, "if I can only keep my bathing cap on!" Since she's lost her hair, she's not sure the cap will stay put! So no underwater swimming for her! She's going to cruise along on her back or do the breast stroke and keep her head out of the water!

Mother said that she would report back to me in an email how the swimming adventure went this morning! I'll fill you all in as soon as I find out!

Til then,
Melissa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Anita, with your will power I just know that you're going to beat this thing. Swimming sounds great. Do you have to wear a bathing cap? Isn't that worn to keep your hair dry? How about just taking off your wig? It's a suggestion but what do I know.
Keep working on getting better. I know you'll win.
Love, Fritzie